Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Another musical note

Raves keep appearing everywhere I turn for the new Arcade Fire album, which made both the NY Times Magazine and the front page of its Sunday Arts & Leisure section.

But I keep seeing the word "bombastic" here and there in references to the album, along with half-apologetic, half-aggressive comments that, well, if you're too set on irony and too unsympathetic to Springsteen-style sentiment-blasting it might not be for you.

I certainly don't think my own palette or palate is limited to irony, although it's a coloring or flavor that I like. The Wrens' Meadowlands, my favorite album of the last few years, certainly emphasizes feeling rather than irony. But I found the first Arcade Fire album simply too bombastic and a bit over-wrought; hence, I think I will sit this one out.

No comments: