Monday, June 25, 2007


Five days ago, I arrived with my family in Singapore, after a very long flight (more than 24 hours, door to door). We're now acclimated, to the extent of having a temporary subscription to the Singapore version of, and have been wandering the very humid city seeing the sights. I think I want to go into the import business, so that U.S. people can sample dragonfruit, a very strange-looking and aptly named import from Vietnam that, once cut open, tastes something like a crisper, tarter version of a kiwi.

Amazing construction boom in Singapore - it's radically transformed since my one other visit here, back in 1990. Without intending any sort of endorsement of anything, it's amazing, as a U.S. citizen, to be in a place that actually appears to be well-governed. Not exactly what I am used to these days.

Yesterday I taught my first session of an intensive 26-hours-over-8-class-days plunge through Tax Policy, and felt pretty good about it - excellent students, from all over the world. I don't know if it's something I said, probably not, but when I was explaining welfarism I got a question to the effect of: Why would anyone believe that anything other than people's subjective wellbeing is important? Hard for me to answer as that's the way I look at it as well.


Anonymous said...

Singapore is a nice place, but it isn't a democracy. That's easy to forget until one gets a hankering for some gum or has a bug fly in one's mouth.

Bharat said...

Just randomly came across this when I was looking for a netflix in Singapore...We just moved as well around June 20th from New York. Still settling in - hasnt been as smooth as it seems to have been for you. Interestingly my wife teaches accounting as well!

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy! Nice blog that you maintain here.. I just chanced upon your blog surfing the blogosphere. I was thinking.. you could try out some interesting widgets on your page and spice it up with some great pictures. E.g try out the poster widget on with your relevant keywords. It has some of the best images i have ever seen.