Monday, September 24, 2007

Evil scam

I just received a new variant of the various credit card scams (often claiming to be from Paypal or various banks) that arrive through e-mail from scoundrels bent on larceny.

This one is ostensibly from "service@irs.gov" and reads as follows:

"Subject: Notification of Tax Refund on your VISA or MasterCard Now

"After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $209.30.

"A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons.

"Fox [sic] example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

"Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your patience.

"To access the form for your tax refund please click the link below."

I didn't click on the link but no doubt it would help me to tell the senders everything they want to know about my credit card.

I suppose one could argue, from a Darwin Awards standpoint, that these guys are good for the genome. Meaning that, if you fall for it ... But I am not so hardhearted, nor would such an argument even be correct evolutionary science.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this information, Its very helpful. I think we should be more vigilant and expose their evil schemes for public awareness.