Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Quotations of the year

These are arguably the ten most memorable quotations of the year (U.S. only). I didn't find them myself - seven are from Fred R. Shapiro, editor of the Yale Book of Quotations, as reported on-line in today's New York Times, and three are from an article by James Parker, posted on 12/18 at http://thephoenix.com. But well worth passing on:

--1. ''Don't tase me, bro.'' Andrew Meyer, a senior at the University of Florida.

--2. ''I personally believe that U.S. Americans are unable to do so because some people out there in our nation don't have maps and I believe that our education like such as in South Africa and Iraq and everywhere like such as and I believe that they should our education over here in the U.S. should help the U.S. or should help South Africa and should help Iraq and the Asian countries so we will be able to build up our future for us.'' Lauren Upton, South Carolina contestant in the Miss Teen America contest, when asked why one-fifth of Americans cannot find the U.S on a map.

--3. “You must have meant something more intelligent.” Christopher Hitchens, responding to an audience member in Madison, Wisconsin during his book tour for God Is Not Great.

--4. “My view is, we ought to double Guantanamo.” Mitt Romney.

--5. ''I don't recall.'' Alberto Gonzalez (repeatedly).

--6. ''There's only three things he (Rudolph Giuliani) mentions in a sentence: a noun and a verb and 9/11.'' Joseph Biden.

--7. ''I'm not going to get into a name-calling match with somebody who has a 9 percent approval rating.'' Harry Reid, referring to Dick Cheney.

--8. ''(I have) a wide stance when going to the bathroom.'' Larry Craig.

--9. “I’m here with the members of the NRA – would you like to say hello?” Rudolph Guiliani, purporting to answer his wife’s call on his cellphone during a speech.

--10. ''I think as far as the adverse impact on the nation around the world, this administration has been the worst in history.'' Jimmy Carter.

No comments: