Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Possible writing project

Right now I'm deep under water, what with the start of a new semester in which I'm teaching both my Tax Policy Colloquium (covering a bunch of new papers every year) and my first-ever Law and Literature seminar (with a novel or shorter work each week). Plus I have several works in progress that I need to get back to once I can, which will not be right away.

But as I think about down the road, I have a project in mind that I am wondering about - would it be of interest? - Is it publishable? - Would it attract interest in the field? - etcetera. It would be a book, but unlike all of my previous books a collection of essays, mostly but not all previously unpublished, that are linked thematically only at a broad level.

As background, some years ago I wrote a piece about Henry Simons, available here. And this past summer I wrote a piece about Stanley Surrey, available here. The latter hasn't appeared in print yet, but I've promised it to a volume of pieces about Surrey in the aftermath of the belated publication of his memoirs.

It occurred to me: What if I had a book of such pieces, about prominent 20th century American tax academics? Each piece would take whatever angle I thought was interesting with respect to that individual, as opposed to attempting biography or comprehensive review. For example, if I wrote about E.R.A. Seligman, the question that would interest me starting out is why on earth did he write that crazy American Economic Review piece / amicus brief in Eisner v. Macomber that led to the absurd result in that case? (This is not suggested muckraking - he was evidently a high-minded guy, but somehow he got onto this train, and I don't know if there's anything in his archives, if they exist, that would shed light on his intellectual process.)

Others I might write about include a couple of people I knew well - Walter Blum and David Bradford. Very possibly, William Andrews, whom I also knew decently well. Plus definitely Boris Bittker, and I'd think about whom else. But definitely not anyone in the Warren-Graetz generation or younger.

Obviously this would not be anything remotely approaching a book with mass market appeal. But maybe enough appeal within the biz to be worth doing? Would a university press consider publishing such a thing? I just don't know - offline feedback welcome!

3 comments:

Victor Thuronyi said...

Not sure, but if I were adding someone to the list of prominent tax academics of an earlier generation it would be Klaus Tipke. I did meet him. Of course, he is German rather than American, but his influence was great. Without doubt the greatest German tax law academic.

Catherine Tolbert said...

Your blogs are great.Are you also searching for dnp capstone project writers Check on our site. whatsapp us:+1-(951)-468-9855

Anonymous said...

It was an amazing blog.
Overseas Study Loan