Wednesday, January 04, 2006

On a lighter note

One nice thing about being a parent, especially when the kids are of your gender and thus have temperamental similarities, is that you can introduce them to stuff you liked at their age, if (and only if) you think it will work.

I remember, at age 10 or so, being amused by a little comic book by Mad Magazine's Don Martin, called "The Mad Adventures of Captain Klutz." Got it last month on eBay as a holiday gift for the fellas, with 8 other Mad books (4 also by Don Martin), for a cool $3.26 including shipping.

Fellas have enjoyed the books, Captain Klutz especially, just as I did at that age.

Sample quote: Captain Klutz is fighting Sissyman, who, having immobilized our hero with an ice cream gun, says:

"And now I'm off to steal a million dollars. But first, permission! Mommy, can I go out to play?"

"Of course, dearikins. But don't be latesies for din-din!"

(He's Sissyman, you see.)

I remember being delighted by this passage, as they are now, when I was of suitable age. Indeed, it would be bootless to deny that I can still recapture a bit of the old feeling.

Don Martin had some genuine merit as a comic artist. I recall his obsession with the fairy tale in which the princess kisses the frog and he turns into a prince. In one variant, she kisses him and she turns into a frog, and they hop off together. In another, he turns into a prince and they ride off together, but then he sees a fly and zaps it with a 10-foot long tongue. In a third, he turns into a prince and then, in the last frame, we see the wedding. People on her side in the audience, frogs on his side.

I'm sure there were more.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Handy man and Repairmen

Can You Fix this and Can you fix that well

how to remodel your kitchen Advice at http://remodeling11.com/bee.pl?ki=master&remodeling=home . If you are Looking for how to remodel your kitchen Then Here it is

Anonymous said...

Glad I found your blog.
I always learn new stuff. stafford loan and a lot of other things.
I try to incorporate good stuff about stafford loan on mine too.
thanks.

Anonymous said...

I like your site about. Lotts of info about home loan lender.
Going to come back later too.
I've got some info abou home loan lender too.
Come by when you get a chance

Anonymous said...

Saw your blog about account buyer credit pal pay - as it is along the same lines I thought I would share this link with you. We were paying far too much for family things like clothes for us and the kids, games consoles inc the new Wii and soon to be PS3, car insurance/home insurance/pet insurance, broadband, mobile phones, landline calls, home and garden items, camping equipment and utilities/loans etc - you name it, we were spending too much on it.

Then a friend of mine recommended a site called www.bargainplace.co.uk. We were able to get cheaper electricity, gas, mobile phone, broadband and loan deals at bargainplace. Thanks to my friend (and the site) I am saving something like £100 a month and can afford an extra holiday abroard each year. Booked of course on www.bargainplace.co.uk. Thanks bargainplace ;-) !!