Saturday, May 19, 2007

Ruminations of an anti-Yankee fan

In all of sports, my anti-Yankee sentiments are second only, and barely, to my pro-Mets sentiments. The two are of course tightly linked, and go back to 1964, when a pint-sized version of the person now typing this was the only Mets fan on his Bronx block. So the sentiments are pretty foundational; even the Mule from Asimov's Foundation series might have a hard time modifying them now.

The Yankees have certainly had some bad luck this year. Do I feel sorry for them? Well, first of all, they need at least 10 or 15 more years of luck this bad before I will say it's evened out. Second, they've ended up on top too many times for me to be convinced they are really scotched for this year. In fact, for all I know they may win their next ten. Third, as of this April their payroll stood at $195M, versus $143M for the Red Sox and $117M for the Mets. They have since added Roger Clemons, which even with his late start should add $20M or so. So they are more than $70M ahead of the Red Sox in spending, and nearly $100M ahead of the Mets. To put it another way, there are more than 20 teams whose payrolls, added to the Mets', are still less than theirs. One certainly ought to be able to buy a bit of insurance that way. So no, I am considerably short of feeling sorry for the Yankees.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you submit your site at blogsearch.sg?
You can reach blogsearch by just typing blogsearch.sg in your browser window or click here
This is a service by bizleadsnet directory of web logs.

Anonymous said...

Dear Dan:

I grew up in the same building as you, in the same Bronx neighborhood as you, during the same time period as you (you were a friend of my older brother).

My recollection is slightly different from yours. With very few exceptions, every kid in the Amalgamated was a Met fan. Every contemporary of mine, and every contemporary I know of yours, hated, hated, hated, the Yankees.

Best regards.