Friday, April 23, 2010

Summer plans

There is no shortage of projects I need to get to work on, now that I'm through with teaching (and most other academic responsibilities) for the 2009-2010 academic year.

First up is a short article, "Taxation of the Financial Sector," that I'm coauthoring with Joel Slemrod and Doug Shackelford for presentation at the May 2010 National Tax Association meeting in Washington and publication not long thereafter in the National Tax Journal.

Next up, I need to complete revisions of my SSRN-posted article, "The Case Against Foreign Tax Credits," a.k.a. (in a scaled-down version) "Rethinking Foreign Tax Creditability." The longer version will appear in the Journal of Legal Analysis, a new faculty-edited journal from the Harvard University Press, while the shorter version will also appear in the N.T.J. after presentation at the May N.T.A. meeting, as well as in an Austrian conference volume from a talk I gave in Vienna last month.

After that, an international tax article that's in an early stage, currently called "A Voluntary Worldwide Tax? Corporate Residence and the Transition Problem In U.S. International Taxation." The clunky title will have to change.

Probably next up after that is my book in progress, "Fixing the U.S. International Tax Rules," which is more than half complete (first drafts of 5 chapters out of 7 plus conclusion) but needs to be reshaped in addition to being otherwise completed. Possibly another international tax article before that one, however, such as on the relationship between international tax issues and tariff/trade issues (which several prominent people have written on, but without seeing the analogies between the issues in the same way that I do).

I also have to write a 25-minute talk on the "law and economics" (I'd rather say "welfare economics") analysis of transition policy, for a debate at a European tax law professors conference in Leuven, Belgium next month. Plus a talk to Canadian tax law professors in a couple of months, and I'm also giving talks in Oxford and Munich, plus there's a chance I'll be doing something in Costa Rica - I haven't heard back about this yet.

Sounds like Getting It will need to remain the unique entry in my novelistic canon for a considerable time to come, even if I am lucky enough as to conceive a sequel ("Losing It"?).

No comments: