Monday, January 24, 2011

Quasi-talk at ABA Tax Section meeting on tax policy and the long-term fiscal crisis

This past Friday in Boca Raton, I was scheduled to appear on a panel at the ABA Tax Section's Annual Meeting as a discussant for the topic "Tax Policy, the Current Economic Climate, and the Long-Term Fiscal Crisis."

I prepared what I thought were at least moderately amusing slides, setting forth some of my views on this topic, and was looking forward to the session, which I gather was well-attended. I am sure that my panelists Joseph Rosenberg and Ed Kleinbard were characteristically enlightening and excellent. But between weather problems from the East Coast snowstorm the night before and some additional scheduling complications. I was unable to make the panel.

I am told that Eric Solomon graciously volunteered to run through my slides, and even to give his best shot to the peculiar task of "channeling Shaviro" for the purpose. (Probably easier than otherwise if he, like me, is left-handed - likely to affect compatibility of the hard wiring.) My thanks to Eric for this.

In case anyone is interested, I thought I'd post a pdf version of the slides here.

I did manage to make a second scheduled panel, on Saturday January 22, concerning corporate tax reform. (Other panelists were Rosanne Altshuler, Reuven Avi-Yonah, and Ed Kleinbard.) I posted the slides for that talk about a month ago, but for convenience you can also access them here.

No comments: