Friday, December 30, 2016

Plus ca change

From Booth Tarkington's The Magnificent Ambersons, which I am reading (and so far enjoying) on the view that I might use it in Part 3 of my literature book (U.S. from the Civil War through World War I):

"He does anything he likes to, without any regard for what people think. Then why should he mind so furiously when the least little thing reflects upon him, or on anything or anybody connected with him?"

Eugene patted her hand. "That's one of the greatest puzzles of human vanity, dear; and I don't pretend to know the answer. In all my life, the most arrogant people that I've known have been the most sensitive. The people who have done the most in contempt of other people's opinions and who consider themselves the highest above it, have been the most furious if it went against them. Arrogant and domineering people can't stand the least, lightest, faintest breath of criticism. It just kills them."

No comments: