Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Nobody knew writing about literature could be so complicated (?)

Okay, in truth I knew full well that writing about it would be plenty complicated. But I hadn't foreseen how much more complicated and tortuous I would find it than writing about my usual subjects.  I feel that it's going well (albeit slowly) as a substantive matter, but I keep getting lost for days at a time because something about my work so far in a given chapter perplexes me or seems wrong.

By contrast, last summer I twice wrote 10,000 word first drafts of tax articles in just three days - and then just had to polish them a bit, without further rethinking any of the basics. (They're available on SSRN here and here.)

Just as an example of the tangled pathways, and struggles to finalize overall framing and perspectives that have continually beset me in my book in progress about literature and high-end inequality, here are the three titles (so far) that I've had for my chapter about Mark Twain's and Charles Dudley Warner's The Gilded Age.

First, "Bleakness at Dawn: The Clang of a New Era in Mark Twain's and Charles Dudley Warner's The Gilded Age."

Then,"Anti-Success Manual?: Mark Twain's and Charles Dudley Warner's The Gilded Age."

Currently (and I'm hoping I finally have it), "Middle-Class Elitism in Mark Twain's and Charles Dudley Warner's The Gilded Age."

The issue here isn't what's the catchiest title, but what would well express the content of the chapter as I develop it. I keep adding layers and changing the angle of view (even though lots of the pieces are the same each way).

UPDATE: "Precociously Anti-Plutocratic Middle-Class Elitism in Mark Twain's and Charles Dudley Warner's The Gilded Age." But this one is too wordy, hence still a work in progress.

9 comments:

Roy said...

The need is we need to bode well among understudies that all they require in their life is to make understanding towards things as opposed to making race in various sort of rivalries what not.ucf essay writing

Unknown said...

Thanks to share this.

Unknown said...

The make known is beautiful enthralling. I in fact never thought I could have courteous relationships at this times until I found out this site. I am grateful for the opinion unadulterated. Thank you for physical thus generous ample to have shared your knowledge following us.Your website homepage is really nice.

Thomas Venney said...

Awesome writing.

Thomas Venney said...

Law school personal statement Is rarely the primary consider account checking a fresh law faculty entry Program, yet it may possibly idea that the weighing machines pharmcas personal statement service to write my statement and it’s really good for their quality.

Unknown said...

Writing about literature is a complex matter. There is a lot of research for location, education and humanity. personal statement editing servicesNecessary discussion. Here are some of the topics that a successful litterateurs have to follow.

Christopher Blevins said...

The actual help to make recognized is actually stunning enthralling. We actually in no way believed I possibly could possess respectful associations only at that occasions till I discovered away this website. I'm thankful for read here that viewpoint unadulterated. Thanks with regard to bodily therefore nice sufficient to possess discussed your own understanding subsequent all of us.

Anonymouse said...

Dr. Judith is the modern writer and knows the good techniques. I did not lose this opportunity because I want to be a good writer and homepage want to gain my experience. I want to know about the writing techniques and Judith is my favorite writer.

Eunus Khan said...

Thank you for hard working. Also, it’s help more. new government job circular