Monday, January 17, 2005

The Tax Reform Commission

As I noted in a previous post, Grover Norquist is a classic inside-the-Beltway bunco salesman and shakedown artist who pretends to favor smaller government but in fact is working hard to install an omnipotent Republican political machine that would make Boss Tweed proud. But at least he sets us straight about the Tax Reform Commission:
''It'll come out with three or four proposals, which are already written, and already on people's desks,'' he told the NY Times reporter. ''So this is not a commission to invent something, or several somethings. This is a commission to discuss several somethings. Poke 'em, bring 'em around the country, test-fly them, run 'em up the flagpole, see who shoots at it, see who salutes.''
Since there are some principled people on the Tax Reform Commission, let's hope they don't let themselves be used in a bad way. And let's hope they emphasize the use of infinite horizon forecasting for tax reform, no less than Social Security. Beth Garrett and Jim Poterba (among others), are you listening?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi. I don't normally bother with comments but feel a little bored today and am trying to waste a little time. I was just surfing around the net (actually looking for info on irs tax relief) when I came across your blog. Just wanted to let you that I've gone back and read through some of your past posts. They caught my interest and I can relate to a quite a bit of what you say. So keep it up - I guess.

Scott A. Edwards said...

As a special token of my appreciation for all your kind help and the wonderful business you have sent my way---I want to give you a free gift.
It is called the "$25000.00 Idea". It will help you in all your endeavors.
Click here: FREE GIFT

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Wow what a cool blog you have here! I am impressed. You really put a lot of time and effort into this. I wish I had your creative writing skills, progressive talent and self- discipline to produce a blog like you did. Your blog really does deserve an honest compliment. If you have some time, stop by my site. It deals with stuff like, click here: top home-based business and then feel free to e-mail me with your words of wisdom.

P.S. I'll sure put the word out about your site and I would appreciate any business you may send my. way... Later, Scott.

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Dear friend, Here is an opportunity for you that is taking over the internet. The compensation plan is second to none. The spill over will blow your mind and the educational products are of the highest quality. Knowledge is power and nobody can ever take that away from you. Join me in this business and see for yourself what you will be getting. Click here: FREE Information