Monday, July 18, 2005

Possible tax angle to the Supreme Court appointment

Amid reports that President Bush may well choose a woman to fill Justice O’Connor’s Supreme Court slot, the New York Times today says that Judges Edith H. Jones and Edith Brown Clement, both of the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, are considered the two leading prospects among women. The Times further says that Jones is a prominent abortion foe, while Clement’s views on abortion are considered uncertain in White House and conservative circles. Gee, I wonder which of the two this leaves out in front, if this particular tea leaf is indeed the right one to examine.

While tax jurisprudence is hardly the most important issue raised by the appointment, those in the tax field may be interested to recall that Jones was the author of an egregious opinion upholding a corporate tax shelter that the Tax Court had struck down. The case was Compaq v. Commissioner, involving the purchase and immediate, pre-arranged resale of a foreign company’s stock, at a huge loss pre-U.S. tax, as a way of in effect purchasing foreign tax credits (from foreigners who could not use them) to offset other U.S. income tax liability. University of Chicago law prof David Weisbach and I criticized Judge Jones’ decision in a short piece, “The Fifth Circuit Gets It Wrong in Compaq v. Commissioner,” published at 94 Tax Notes 511 (January 28, 2002).

Views about how best to respond to corporate tax shelters may reasonably differ, and I know some good tax lawyers who are anti-shelter and yet who thought the government should have lost in Compaq under the set of arguments that it made. But Jones’ opinion was noteworthy for its misinterpreting (or, less charitably, misrepresenting) the factual record of the case, which clearly showed how completely “pre-wired” the deal was, and for its taking an extremely crabbed view of the economic substance doctrine in income tax law (a key IRS tool in combating new shelters). For example, Jones’ opinion seemed to take the view that economic substance is demonstrated whenever taxpayers either (1) bear economic risk in a deal, or (2) arrange not to bear economic risk in a deal. That doesn’t leave a whole lot of room for ever finding a lack of economic substance.

In light of the unspoken attitudes that Jones’ Compaq opinion suggests, appointing her to the Supreme Court would probably mean that there were at least three votes (with Scalia and Thomas) for scrapping the entire economic substance doctrine, which has been a central and widely accepted part of the common law of income taxation since the 1930s. Rehnquist, or his replacement if he retires, might make four, and my sense in Supreme Court tax cases is that, if a few Justices feel strongly about an issue, one or two others may be inclined to go along, as they do not care so much.

A Jones appointment would therefore seem to raise the odds of a major victory for tax shelter promoters, albeit one that Congress could call off (at least prospectively) by passing a statute endorsing the economic substance doctrine. That, by the way, would have its own ironic twist. Once the Supreme Court had changed the revenue estimators' baseline by eliminating the economic substance doctrine, Congress might be able to credit itself with billions of dollars of revenue-raising by simply restoring the prior status quo. This, in turn, might be used to “pay” for new tax breaks of some kind. A true happy ending.

UPDATE: Speculating in complete ignorance now that it's Roberts, the fact that he appears to be an establishment type rather than a bombthrower would seem to me to reduce the likelihood that he would want to throw 70 years of settled tax law into disarray.

Did Bush blink on this one, considering his usual rage-filled drive to create maximum distress? Lucky for the rest of us if he did.

28 comments:

Stephanie said...

The Wall Street Journal has also mentioned Judge Alice M. Batchelder of the Sixth Circuit. She would be an interesting choice, and one that I would support.

Mitchell S. Fishman said...

Jones has many egregious opinions to her name, of which the Compaq opinion is only one. I believe her judicial record left too much to shoot at, with the result that we have now seen.

Editor said...

Hey there, great blog. I really would like to see more about a topic like book ebay resale right . I also have an informative blog about book ebay resale right Check it out if you have some time. See ya'

6sec said...

Hey, you have a great blog here! I'm definitely going to bookmark you!
I have a product quality resale right site. It pretty much covers product quality resale right related stuff.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)

cc Infopage said...

Hello,

I am searching around for fresh information
for my cc Infopage, 30,000 daily updated Information Pages about all kind of subjects.

It might interest you to know that your blog has been visited and has been read. I hope you enjoy your "Blogging".

I wish you all the luck I can, keep the good work going!

Kind regards,
Jos
Today's News From & About eBay

Get the eBay Business Box Today

doer said...

Hello, just visited your blog, it's informative. I also have a Eay related web site. Please visit and hope that it's useful.

Anonymous said...

Would The Thought Of Thousands Of Other Web Site's All Displaying Your Content,

WDM Info Services said...

Have you listed your blog in a blog directory?

"real world blog" is what I used to find your blog on google

real world blog

TheDevilIsInTheDetails said...

Another abortion forum Resource... LifeLaw.org . A discussion forum for all that deals with such hot-button issues as abortion forum .

Jessie Smith said...

Hi ##NAME##. I don't normally bother with comments but feel a little bored today and am trying to waste a little time. I was just surfing around the net (actually looking for info on irs tax relief) when I came across your blog. Just wanted to let you that I've gone back and read through some of your past posts. They caught my interest and I can relate to a quite a bit of what you say. So keep it up - I guess.

Goldie Silver said...

Hi ##NAME##. I don't normally bother with comments but feel a little bored today and am trying to waste a little time. I was just surfing around the net (actually looking for info on irs tax relief) when I came across your blog. Just wanted to let you that I've gone back and read through some of your past posts. They caught my interest and I can relate to a quite a bit of what you say. So keep it up - I guess.

Jessie Smith said...

Hey ##NAME##, how's it going? I just came across your blog and I've gone through a lot of what you've written in the past. I can see what you are saying and can relate to bit of it. Its actually weird that I ended up at your blog, cause I was actually doing an assignment, looking for information on irs tax relief. Even though your posts didn't exactly correspond to what I'm trying to find, it was still a good distraction. I guess it always is when you've got to do a damn assignment. Thanks anyway.

John White said...

Hi ##NAME##. Hope you are well. I came across your site totally by accident. In fact it wasn't exactly on a topic I was looking for (I was on the lookout for irs tax relief info). But as I was searching, one link led me to another and I got curious about your blog. I found it interesting and thought I'd drop you a line to tell you so. I guess thats what surfing is all about.

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Hello my dear internet friends! I have some very exiting news. A lot of you know me pretty well now and have helped me a lot. I sincerely appreciate you and I want to do the same for you. Please take a moment to check out this excellent opportunity. I am so very proud to be a part of this business, I just don't have the space I need here to fully express my gratitude and I know you will feel the same way I do. You can even try it out at no charge. Take some time to explore and learn what could be one of the most significant aspects in your life. You will not be wasting your time and I will be honored for you to be my guest. You will love this... Please give me a chance to prove it to you. Click here: online money It elegantly covers online money related ideas and FREE information. Sincerely, Scott.

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Hello I am the traffic man, zip, zip, zip. make a new resolution to get a flood of traffic to your website this year. Let me show you how to get FREE traffic to your site. Yes I said FREE, FREE, FREE!!! Don't delay.

To find out more, visit my internet marketing opportunity site. It successfully covers FREE information exposing FREE traffic and internet marketing opportunity related stuff. Don't forget - FREE, FREE, FREE. You have nothing to lose!

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

NOW, check this out for FREE...

There is a new, fully automated traffic-generation system that can send 1000's of targeted prospects to your website, for FREE! It only takes 5 minutes to set up to set your FREE account!

To find out more visit: top home-based businesses site. It successfully exposes FREE information covering Traffic and top home-based businesses related stuff.

Scott A. Edwards said...

Dear friends, here is a really cool site that gives you a lot of FREE information that you can really use. Get FREE Daily and Weekly Foreign Exchange Outlook, Rates, Trends and Currency Shifts. Click here: FOREX

Scott A. Edwards said...

Dear friends, here is a really cool site that gives you a lot of FREE information that you can really use. Get FREE Daily and Weekly Foreign Exchange Outlook, Rates, Trends and Currency Shifts. Click here: FOREX

Scott A. Edwards said...

Dear friends, here is a really cool site that gives you a lot of FREE information that you can really use. Get FREE Daily and Weekly Foreign Exchange Outlook, Rates, Trends and Currency Shifts. Click here: FOREX

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

As a special token of my appreciation for all your kind help and the wonderful business you have sent my way---I want to give you a free gift.
It is called the "$25000.00 Idea". It will help you in all your endeavors.
Click here: FREE GIFT

Joe Berenguer said...

Hi, Fellow!I like your blog!
I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
I have a make money site
site. It pretty much covers make money site related subjects.
Come and check it out if you get time :-)
Best regards!

Paul Adams said...

Hi Blogger!I like your blog! Keep up the
good work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my site:
make money
It pretty much covers make money related issues.
Best regards!

make money surfing web while said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my make money surfing web while site.
Have a good day!

make money surfing the web said...

I was searching blogs,and I found yours.Please,
accept my congratulations for your excellent work!
If you have a moment, please visit my make money surfing the web site.
Have a good day!

make money survey taking said...

Hello Friend! I just came across your blog and wanted to
drop you a note telling you how impressed I was with
the information you have posted here.
Keep up the great work, you are providing a great resource on the Internet here!
If you have a moment, please make a visit to my make money survey taking site.
Good luck in your endeavors!

Scott Arthur Edwards said...

Dear friends, here is a really cool site that gives you a lot of FREE information that you can really use. Get FREE Daily and Weekly Foreign Exchange Outlook, Rates, Trends and Currency Shifts. Click here: FOREX

Anonymous said...

Great blog....now...ADVICE TIME!! - If you need more improve web site traffic then congratulations I've come to the right place, try improve web site traffic - this is the best place online to get massive volumes of internet traffic back to your blog for blog publicity purposes. Within a week I had trippled my volume of traffic - Signup is free and before you know it you will flying up the Google search egine - guaranteed!! - Signup is free you have nothing to lose. Best of luck with it and continued success with your blog!!

Anonymous said...

http://www.adquity.com

Classifieds for our community. Buy, sell, trade, date, events... post anything. Adquity Classifieds.

http://www.adquity.com