Sunday, October 30, 2005

Stupid or dishonest?

I remember reading a Mad Magazine when I was a kid, in which one feature had a wife complaining to her husband: "You always say everything of yours is better. Can't you, just this once, name something of mine that you think is better?"

He stops and thinks for a moment, and then finally says: "Well, you have better in-laws than I do."

In approximately that spirit, if I had to praise David Brooks's column in the Sunday Times, I would say: "He can't possibly be that stupid, so he must be dishonest instead." Dishonest in the sense of spinning and making what he must realize are preposterous and phony arguments.

To his mind, Fitzgerald has found one rotten apple, Libby, while somehow affirming that everyone else in the Bush Administration is honest. Fitz has supposedly proven that "there is no cancer on this Presidency." (An actual quote.)

And anyone who thinks there are other crimes, or that there was any sort of cover-up, other than by Libby, is exhibiting what Richard Hofstadter called "the paranoid style in American politics." Witch-hunts, anti-Masonic agitation, McCarthyism, etc. Nice touch with the Hofstadter, by the way. Brooks, as a supposed "intellectual," is showing that he remembers some of the stuff he read in college.

Thus, it would be rampant and indeed clinical paranioa, in Brooks' stated view, to think that Cheney might have discussed outing Plame or had any idea about what Libby was doing.

When you insult your readers' intelligence as Brooks is doing, you are showing that you are either phenomenally stupid or else dishonest. A writer's first obligation should be to the readers, to level with them rather than pursue unstated agendas such as hacking and flacking for your side. Brooks fails this test, no less than Judy Miller in her own special way as an "investigative" reporter, unless he verges on being unable to tie his own shoes. I choose the more charitable interpretation (or is it?).

No need to argue facts, probabilities, reasonable interpretations, etc. if you can simply label all views other than the radically myopic (Libby did everything alone) as "paranoid."

Brooks would be a good 8th grade debater, with silly, transparent tactics like this. But he does not belong on the pages of a major newspaper, even one so compromised as the Times.

UPDATE: Trent Lott asserts that the Bush Administration has serious problems and must address them. I guess, by Brooks' dim lights, he must be "paranoid" too.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I appreciate that the Times tries to have conservative voices among their columnists, but I do wish they'd picked someone better, like Steve Chapman from from the Chicago Tribune. I often disagree with him, but generally find his positions well considered and challenging.

Mark Witte

Daniel Shaviro said...

Yes, absolutely - in a sense I hate to see my own rantings on these matters, because until 2002 I had been pretty balanced between the parties for 20 years. There certainly are sensible conservative voices (I have praised Bruce Bartlett a number of times), but so many seem to have sold out to the centralized dictation.

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Cool, Nicely said!

DR - http://www.easy-forex-broker.ssr.be - currency rboker

Anonymous said...

Hi Friend! You have a great blog over here!
Please accept my compliments and wishes for your happiness and success!
If you have a moment, please take a look at my business insurance quotes site.
Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

Really great blog I've bookmarked it - now some really important bits of financial advice - as it is along the same lines I thought I would share this info with you.

We were paying far too much for items like kids clothes, games consoles, car insurance/home insurance/pet insurance, broadband, mobile phones and utilities/loans, construction home improvement etc. Then a friend of mine recommended a site called www.bargainplace.co.uk. We were able to get cheaper electricity, gas, mobile phone, broadband and loan deals at bargainplace. Thanks to my friend (and the site) I am saving something like £100 a month and can afford an extra holiday a year. Booked of course on www.bargainplace.co.uk. Thanks bargainplace ;-) !!

PS - I set up a website a couple of months ago and until recently I was getting no traffic at all. Then, I signed up to Linkreferral.com. Not only did I start getting visitors by the truck load, I also joined Affiliatewindow and am now making lots of money by partnering with companies like Argos, Next, John Lewis, Pixmania, Marks and Spencer, LX Direct, Littlewoods, Vodafone, phones4u, phones2u, Sky, NTL, Virgin Media, Talktalk, Woolworths, Empire Direct, ebay plus online gambling sites - you can make pot loads of cash.

Linkreferral.com is absolutelely free and has really helped my business take off.

PLUS!! there are opportunities to make money from Linkreferral as well - sign up for free and check out the website and email received for details

Follow these free tips and you won't go far wrong - that brand new BMW or Mercedes might just be around the corner!!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog!! I'm into niche affiliate marketing program and to drive traffic to my website I signed up free for this superb traffic gereating tool - I now have loads of hits to my websites and blogs. This can see your affiliate commission shoot through the roof - meaning lots of extra money coming in for you and your family. Sign up now - it's free.. Best of luck, cheers for now, dave.

Roberto Iza Valdés said...
This comment has been removed by the author.