Thursday, March 27, 2008

Doing their homework

I recently was invited to participate in a DC tax policy forum discussing the Clinton and Obama tax plans. I couldn't go, but I gather that the Clinton people had thought I might be a good person to discuss Obama's tax plan. This in turn is interesting, because many months ago (well before even the Iowa caucuses) I had a blog post that was critical of Obama's then-newly announced proposals. So I suppose the suggestion may in this sense be no coincidence.

As it happens, I haven't posted on any other candidate's tax plans other than ol' Fred Thompson (you know, the actor) along with some snark concerning this now-forgotten guy who used to be a big shot, I think named Rudy Guiliano or Guilianus or something like that (it's hard to remember these days).

I've been thus scattershot about the candidates' tax plans because I find it hard to really take an interest in these things until I have reason to believe that the candidate is actually going to (a) win and (b) propose his or her plan. Plus, I sometimes have an aversion to overly low-hanging fruit, which is what criticizing a candidate's tax plan can amount to given all the political constraints on proposing sensible tax policies. So in a way it was a compliment, albeit less to Obama himself than to his economic advisor Austan Goolsbee, that I considered the plan worth criticizing.

Anyway, someone's campaign must be reading these things given the apparent genesis of the invitation. Good to know I'm not all alone out here.

No comments: