Saturday, May 10, 2014

Technology of the future?

While in a B&B on a short overnight family-related roadtrip, I started reading a copy of Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited that they had in the room,  (I'm a big Waugh fan, but tend to prefer the snark, or for that matter the harrowing Ordeal of Gilbert Penfold, to the mellow mists of memory.)  As I obviously couldn't finish it there, I was on the verge of buying it on Kindle, when it occurred to me that I might already have it at home, even though I hadn't read it previously.

So here is the scenario that occurred to me: "Siri, could you ask Sentinel™ to check on whether we have Waugh's Brideshead Revisited?  That's W-A-U-G-H, near the end of the fiction section in the library."

Perhaps Sentinel™ could also feed the cats, or at least tell us how they are doing.  I think of it as having a voice like Hal's in 2001.

No comments: