Wednesday, August 31, 2016

Six talks, six topics

I will be giving six talks in September, not counting meetings of my Survey of International Taxation class.  But whereas the smart-money move among time-efficient academics is to keep on giving the same talk, again and again and again (even over years), I have somehow found the opposite extreme, as I will not even be addressing the same topic twice.

The grisly (?) roster is as follows:

1) September 9, at St. Francis College in State College, PA: Informal talk to students about inversions.  What makes this particularly interesting is that these are college students, not law students.  So not only is  background necessary, but it's 90+% of what's necessary.

2) Later in the day on September 9 at St. Francis College: Larger public talk on budget deficits and associated issues.  I have made slides for this talk that I will post here afterwards. (As with #1, however, no paper.)

3) September 12, as previously noted, in-house workshop with NYU faculty re. the Jane Austen chapter from my book-in-progress on literature and high-end inequality.

4) September 19, at Moritz College of Law (aka Ohio State), "The Mapmaker's Dilemma in Evaluating High-End Inequality."  The version I'll present is a meld between my forthcoming U Miami Law Review article and chapter 2 of my literature book in progress.  Slides to be posted here after the talk.

5) September 23, at NYU conference on human rights and tax. "Interrogating the Relationship Between 'Legally Permissible' Tax Planning and Social Justice."  This is the dialogue-style article I've mentioned in earlier blog entries but have not as yet posted on SSRN.  I'll post the article either before or after the talk, and the slides after the talk.

6) September 26, at private meeting of NYC tax lawyers.  Here I will discuss my new paper, which will have appeared in Tax Notes on September 19, "Friends Without Benefits? The Treasury White Paper on the EU State Aid Cases."  I am not anticipating that very many of the attendees will agree with my analysis.

So that does it - six talks, six topics.  Work-maximizing, but I hope boredom-minimizing.

No comments: