Thursday, December 09, 2004

"Look, Mommy- I'm a soldier!"

Was I the only one to laugh at the childish G.I. Joe outfit our President wore the other day when he was photo-opping with US troops? Is he trying out belatedly for the album cover of Sgt Pepper?

UPDATE: Maureen Dowd laughed at it, too. [And a reader tells me Jon Stewart did as well.]

Reader challenge: free copy of one of my books if you can find any photograph of Dwight Eisenhower in a military-style outfit while he was President. Those who are don't have to pretend. [Oops - a reader sends proof that Eisenhower wore one while President-Elect, in the course of visiting the US troops in Korea. Since I am a lawyer I guess I could embrace the technicality - he hadn't been inaugurated yet - but instead I'll tip my hat.
Maybe Eisenhower was responding to those "Swift U-Boat" ads in which Stevenson alleged he was a German double-agent.]

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Arguably "military style" albeit while he was President-elect. http://www.eisenhower.utexas.edu/Korea/html/Koreanphotographs.html

A veritable potpourri of "military style" garb on Presidents from the left, right, and center -
http://www.deanesmay.com/posts/1102587092.shtml

Daniel Shaviro said...

Point taken, Anonymous, even if I rely on the President-Elect technicality.

Anonymous said...

Actually, what this most reminds me of is the uniform Buster Bluth wears to his father's fake funeral on Arrested Development--it's a stripper's costume.

Anonymous said...

I have been following a site now for almost 2 years and I have found it to be both reliable and profitable. They post daily and their stock trades have been beating
the indexes easily.

Take a look at Wallstreetwinnersonline.com

RickJ

Blogger said...

At the TWS website you are connected randomly to a stranger so that you get a chance to indulge in a great conversation for free.You can free-chat-now, with strangers in a private chat room. Private chat rooms allow you to chat and share media, like videos and photos for free. Another great thing about chatting now at TWS is that all these services are absolutely free.