Monday, June 09, 2008

Vacation reading

I wouldn't entirely call it a vacation, given that I will be doing 28 hours of teaching in Singapore over 8 days, but I'll nonetheless be loaded with vacation reading when I hit the airport tomorrow night.  

Unless I drop one to save weight, I'll have:

1) Ian MacDonald, Revolution in the Head: The Beatles' Records and the Sixties [for the airplane on the way out],

2) Alistair Horne, A Savage War of Peace: Algeria 1954-1962 [Iraq War avant la lettre],

3) Joe Keenan, My Lucky Star [supposed to be a Wodehousean Hollywood novel],

4) Adam Tooze, The Wages of Destruction: The Making and Breaking of the Nazi Economy [not your typical beach read, but highly recommended here & there],

5) Jeannette Walls, The Glass Castle [spouse-recommended memoir],

6) Rick Perlstein, Nixonland [hope it's not too depressing and is analytical not too shrill],

The weight of these is enough to make one think wistfully about the Amazon Kindle.  But if I need more there's always the Borders on Orchard Road out there.

No comments: