Friday, December 22, 2017

Fun for the holidays?

Despite my often writing articles and even a book about international tax policy, I've been a bit remiss so far in my degree of focus on the international rules in the tax bill. They're complicated and so is thinking about them, I wanted to make sure they were final so I wouldn't waste time on proposals that disappear, and I've been focusing on other aspects such as the passthrough rules.

Plus, I have other academic writing interests that, at the moment, grab me a bit more. My book about literature and high-end inequality is # 1 in this regard, but I'm also writing a short paper about the destination-based cash flow tax on a short time fuse.

That paper will be based on the various versions of slides that I've posted in the past, such as here, but it will be much more focused on the academic literature than on last year's Republican House proposal, which I would presume is politically dead. My main point is that academics should move on from it, too - it's a multi-instrument package, and each of the instruments is worth taking seriously, but the packaging serves no good purpose and should be dropped, as it only confuses even experts who should know better.

A couple of months ago, I wrote a first draft of a short international tax paper, which I haven't posted or submitted anywhere. It's now partly obsolete due to the new 2017 tax bill. But that's actually a good thing, even from the comically self-centered standpoint of a writer with sunk costs. I felt a bit bored at times writing the piece, not always a recipe for one's best work (although I think it has some good features), and I now have something fresh to put into it, i.e., responding to the new international rules in light of the framework that I use in the piece, which is based on my past international work.

So I have given myself homework for the holidays, in the form of printing out the international provisions in the final bill and conference report (I'm still old-fashioned enough to prefer paper for non-casual reading that is long-form), plus a few associated items that will help me think about them. And I plan to take more of a deep dive over the next couple of weeks than I have so far.

My initial sense of the international tax rules in the final bill is that they are less bad than the other features I have been discussing. That's a pretty low bar, of course, when one has been thinking about the passthrough rules. But a couple of points in favor of the new international rules, compared to the bill's worse elements are:

1) They started from what everyone agrees is really bad present law. (By contrast, the passthrough rules gratuitously screwed up something that was previously working fine, i.e., the absence of any such rules.) This inevitably affects a fair assessment of whether they have made things worse. Case in point, they've created incentives to move assets abroad, but under present law one may already have such incentives.

2) One thing that's distressed me elsewhere in the bill is frequent lack of concern about tax avoidance, where that's defined as taxpayers getting favorable results that don't follow from a good faith policy aim. Case in point is not trying to limit exploitation of the 21% corporate rate by personal service corporations and the like. People incorporating so they can get the low rate for their labor income is NOT part of any reasonable rationale for lowering the corporate rate in response to international tax competition. Then, in the passthrough rules, while they make some effort to limit the ability of some service professionals to take advantage, the whole thing is so unprincipled to begin with that I've noted that I can't see what the concept of undue tax avoidance even means there, unless one defines it as people and industries that the Republicans like versus those that they don't like.

International is different. The extent to which they wanted to address tax avoidance seems clearly to have been greater than zero. Whether it's adequate or well-executed is another question, but at least we are starting here from a higher baseline.

I also note that they seem to have at least gestured towards, and perhaps even implemented to a degree, a couple of ideas that I have been pushing in international tax policy debate. The first is steering away from what I call a 100% MRR (marginal reimbursement rate) for foreign taxes paid. Foreign tax credits that are allowable immediately are only one mechanism for having a 100% MRR in practice. Global "minimum tax" rules can also have this effect, as can anti-base erosion rules in some settings where they focus either directly or indirectly on shifting foreign income to tax havens.

A second idea that I've been pushing, and that I believe the bill reflects (but will have to study it more carefully) is that one's base erosion rules shouldn't over-rely on domestic residence.  Prior U.S. international tax law, even if it did too little overall about base erosion, did too much of what it did via the subpart F rules, which only apply to U.S. companies with foreign subsidiaries. The ability to have controlled foreign corporation (CFC) rules, like our subpart F, for domestic companies but not foreign companies means that one can do more to address (and fine-tune one's addressing) base erosion by the domestic than the foreign. This creates a tradeoff, in that one may want to take advantage of the extra tools where one can, but there may otherwise be no reason to treat the residents worse than the nonresidents. Again, there appears to be some of this in the new rules, perhaps reflecting the political ease of going after foreign relative to domestic multinationals.

Some of the biggest defects in the new international rules may be multilateral or strategic. Obviously there is the treaty issue that Rebecca Kysar has been writing about, and that we discussed in both Games 1 and Games 2. Plus there are strategic issues: even insofar as doing X benefits the U.S. unilaterally - i.e., in the case where it doesn't change what anyone else does - what if other strategic players actually do respond to us? The prospect of both imitation and retaliation can affect how we think about taking a given step, keeping in mind that the question here is how others change what they do by reason of what we did.

So there's a lot for me to think about, but I do think I will end up sounding more measured, simply because a measured (even if in some respects critical) response seems more likely to be deserved.

Anyway, if I can bear to read all this stuff over the holidays - and, if not, I'll do it in early January - then I will have some updates on what I think about it, eventually I'd presume in academic writing but initially here.

16 comments:

Dr Purva Pius said...

I’m Charles David by name, i want to use this medium to alert all loan seekers to be very careful because there are scam everywhere, Few months ago I was financially strained, and due to my desperation I was scammed by several online lenders. I had almost lost hope until a friend of mine referred me to a very reliable lender called Dr Purva Pius ( A God fearing man) who lend me a loan of $237,000 under 72 working hours without any stress. I explain to the company by mail and all they told me was to cry no more because i will get my loan from this company and also i have made the right choice of contacting them i filled the loan application form and proceeded with all that was requested of me and to my shock I was given the loan, If you are in need of any kind of loan just contact him now via: {urgentloan22@gmail.com}

I‘m using this medium to alert all loan seekers because of the hell I passed through in the hands of those fraudulent lenders.

Thanks you Dr Purva Pius Loan service for your help.

URGENT LOAN said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Unknown said...

ALL THANKS TO UPSTART LOAN AM NOW FINANCIALLY STABLE . upstartloan@yahoo.com
I am Michelle Huxford from Casper, Wyoming. I was in a very chronic financial issue and terminal health situation some few weeks back. After all my search for assistance from friends and neighbors proved abortive, I feel there was no one who truly cares. I became so emaciated due to lack of good food and my 2 kids age 5 and 8 were not also good looking due to lack of proper care as a result of finance. One faithful morning I saw an old time friend of my late husband and I told him all I have been going through and he said the only way he could help was to direct me to a good loan agency that also helped him, He explained to me on how he was financially down and how he got boosted by this loan agency UPSTART LOAN INC ( upstartloan@yahoo.com ) who grant him 245,000 USD loan at an affordable rate. He further assured me that they were the only legit loan firm he found in the quest of seeking for loan after been scammed by various fake loan lenders online. He gave me their email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or text/call (574) 301-1639, That was how i applied and was also granted a loan and my life changed for the good. CONTACT THE ONLY GENUINE LENDERS( UPSTART LOAN INC) VIA email: upstartloan@yahoo.com or call +1 (574) 301-1639 to resolve your financial mess.

Anonymous said...

★COMPOSITE HACKS★

If Truly you Are In Need Of A LEGIT PROFESSIONAL HACKER Who Will Get Your Job Done Efficiently With Swift Response, Congratulations, You Have Met the Right HACKERS.

★ WHO ARE COMPOSITE HACKS???
• We are a Team Of Professional HACKERS , a product of the coming together of Legit Hackers from the Dark-Web (pentaguard, CyberBerkut, White Hack and Black Hat,) we have been existing for over 12years, our system is a very strong and decentralized command structure that operates on ideas and directives.

★ JOB GUARANTEE:
 • Frankly speaking, I always give a 100% guarantee on any job we are been asked to do, because we have always been successful in Almost all our jobs for over 12years and our clients can testify to that.
The Problem we are Facing right now is that there are so many fake Hackers here online who are claiming what they are not, just to eat innocent people's money and Run away, But its only the SMART People that would be able to distinguish between these enormous Fake Hackers and the Few LEGIT HACKERS. I could remember there was a time i started hacking their emails and shutting it down, but at a point i observed that these scam hackers are enormous, how many of them am i gonna hack? I had to Leave them and Face my Job.
- COMPOSITE HACKS is One of the Leading Hack Teams in the United States With so Many Awards from the IT Companies.


★ OUR HACKING CAPABILITIES:
We Offer Varieties Of LEGIT Hacking Services With the Help Of Our Root HackTools, Special HackTools and Our Technical Hacking Strategies.
- Below is a List Of Services we Render Often:
★Penetration Testing
★ Phishing
★ Jail Breaking.
★ Phone Hack: Giving you access to the Target's Call Log, messages, chats and all social media Apps .
★Retrieval Of Lost Files
★ Location Tracking.
★ Clearing Of Criminal Records.
★ Hacking Of Server, Database And website e.g Facebook, twitter, Instagram Snapchat etc

★ SOME OTHER SPECIAL SERVICES WE OFFER:
★ Bank Accounts Loading ( Only USA Banks)
★ Credit Cards Loading (Only USA CC's)
★ One Vanilla Cards Loading ($100 cards and above)
★ Sales Of HACKED/PROGRAMMED ATM Cards & CC's ( For All Countries.)

★ You can also contact us for other Cyber Attacks And Hijackings, we do almost All.

★Contact Us for Your Desired Service Via: compositehacks@gmail.com

★We Treat Every Request With Utmost Confidentiality★

Unknown said...

WELCOME TO BETTERMENT FUNDINGS {bettermentfunding@gmail.com}

our aims is to provide Excellent Professional Service.

Our loans are well insured for maximum security is our priority, Our leading goal is to help you get the services you deserve, Our program is the quickest way to get what you need in a snap. Reduce your payments to ease the strain on your monthly expenses. Gain flexibility with which you can use for any purpose – from vacations, to education, to unique purchases

Are you a business man or woman? Are you in any financial mess or do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need a loan to start a nice Small Scale and medium business? Do you have a low credit score and you are finding it hard to obtain capital loan from local banks and other financial institutes?.

We offer a wide range of financial services which includes: Personal Loans, Debt consolidation loans, Business Loans, Education Loans, Mortgage Secured Loan, Unsecured loan, Mortgage Loans, Payday off Loans, Student Loans, Commercial Loans, Car Loans, Investments Loans, Development Loans, Acquisition Loans, Construction Loans, with low interest rate at 2% per annul for individuals, companies and corporate bodies. Get the best for your family and own your dream home as well with our General Loan scheme.

If you are interested to get a loan then kindly write us with the loan requirement.Please, contact us for more information: bettermentfunding@gmail.com

We look forward to hear from you ASAP

Interested applicants should Contact us via email: bettermentfunding@gmail.com

URGENT LOAN said...

Hello Everybody,
My name is Mrs Sharon Sim. I live in Singapore and i am a happy woman today? and i told my self that any lender that rescue my family from our poor situation, i will refer any person that is looking for loan to him, he gave me happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of S$250,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 3 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of S$250,000.00 SG. Dollar, he is a GOD fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him tell him that is Mrs Sharon, that refer you to him. contact Dr Purva Pius,via email:(urgentloan22@gmail.com) Thank you.

Brian said...

I strongly recommend the service of a GREAT Hacker to you and his email is hackersolution89@gmail.com. I have used him quite a number of times and he has never disappointed me.

He does all types of mobile hacks, get unrestricted and unnoticeable access to your partner/spouse, Skype, Facebook Account, Email(s), Whatsapp, Instagram, Text messages, Snap Chat, Hang out, Twitter, Hangout, Bank accounts, office files etc.

Getting the JOB done is as simple as sending an email to hackersolution89@gmail.com stating what you want to do.

SCOTTY said...

They are all scammers, they will make you pay after which they will give you an excuse asking you to pay more money, they have ripped me of $2000, i promised i was going to expose them.
I figured it all out when my colleague took me to Pavel

(HACKINTECHNOLOGY@gmail.com)

(+1(669) 225 2253)

He did perfect job, he hacks all accounts ranging from (Emails, Facebook, whatsapp, imo, skype, instagram, Phone cloning, DMV removal, tracking locations, background checks Kik etc. he also hacks cell phones, cell phone tapping and cloning, clears bad driving and criminal records, bank transfers, locates missing individuals e.t.c. You should contact him and please stop using contacts you see on websites to execute jobs for you, you can ask around to find a real hacker.

Unknown said...

HACKINTECHNOLOGY@gmail.com)
scam
scam
scam

Fixit said...

Hello all
am looking few years that some guys comes into the market
they called themselves hacker, carder or spammer they rip the
peoples with different ways and it’s a badly impact to real hacker
now situation is that peoples doesn’t believe that real hackers and carder scammer exists.
Anyone want to make deal with me any type am available but first
I‘ll show the proof that am real then make a deal like

Available Services

..Wire Bank Transfer all over the world

..Western Union Transfer all over the world

..Credit Cards (USA, UK, AUS, CAN, NZ)

..School Grade upgrade / remove Records

..Spamming Tool

..keyloggers / rats

..Social Media recovery

.. Teaching Hacking / spamming / carding (1/2 hours course)

discount for re-seller

Contact: 24/7

fixitrogers@gmail.com

martins said...

Hello Everyone. I want you all to know about the hacked atm card, for those of you who been fighting for financial issues, here is a great chance for you to get a blank atm card, you can use this blank atm card to withdraw anywhere around the world, you can withdrawal up to $3,000 USD per day with this card and also you can use it to shop online and attach it to your PayPal, if you want to get one for yourself, contact via email: (harrybrownn59@gmail.com), do not miss this great opportunity of your life, contact them now and thank me later.

Alvir said...

I never thought I will come in contact with a real and potential hacker until I knew   brillianthackers800 at Gmail and he delivered a professional job,he is intelligent and understanding to control jobs that comes his way
Contact him and be happy

GLENF THOMAS said...

CONTACT US FOR ALL KINDS OF HACKING JOB @ GLENFTHOMAS@GmAIL.COM We offer professional hacking services , we offer the following services;
-University grades changing
-Bank accounts hack
-Erase criminal records hack
-Facebook hack
-Twitters hack
-email accounts hack
-Grade Changes hack
-Website crashed hack
-server crashed hack
-Skype hack
-Databases hack
-Word Press Blogs hack
-Individual computers hack
-Control devices remotely hack
-Burner Numbers hack
-Verified Paypal Accounts hack
-Any social media account hack
-Android & iPhone Hack
-Text message interception hack
-email interception hack
-Untraceable Ip etc.
Contact us at GLENFTHOMAS@GMAIL.COM for more inquiry..
Track Calls log and Spy Call Recording.
Monitoring SMS text messages remotely.
Cell phone GPS location tracking. Spy on Whatsapp Messages.
Free Update and 100% Undetectable.
Track BBM messages and Line messages.
View All Photos Captured.
Track Internet Browsing History and Read phone Access Address Book, totally worth your money, please no time wasters, he won't under any circumstances work for free, you can reach him by email GLENFTHOMAS@GMAIL.COM
WHATSAPP NUMBER:+1 917 809 8609.

GLENF THOMAS said...

CONTACT US FOR ALL KINDS OF HACKING JOB @ GLENFTHOMAS@GmAIL.COM We offer professional hacking services , we offer the following services;
-University grades changing
-Bank accounts hack
-Erase criminal records hack
-Facebook hack
-Twitters hack
-email accounts hack
-Grade Changes hack
-Website crashed hack
-server crashed hack
-Skype hack
-Databases hack
-Word Press Blogs hack
-Individual computers hack
-Control devices remotely hack
-Burner Numbers hack
-Verified Paypal Accounts hack
-Any social media account hack
-Android & iPhone Hack
-Text message interception hack
-email interception hack
-Untraceable Ip etc.
Contact us at GLENFTHOMAS@GMAIL.COM for more inquiry..
Track Calls log and Spy Call Recording.
Monitoring SMS text messages remotely.
Cell phone GPS location tracking. Spy on Whatsapp Messages.
Free Update and 100% Undetectable.
Track BBM messages and Line messages.
View All Photos Captured.
Track Internet Browsing History and Read phone Access Address Book, totally worth your money, please no time wasters, he won't under any circumstances work for free, you can reach him by email GLENFTHOMAS@GMAIL.COM
WHATSAPP NUMBER:+1 917 809 8609.

SHEFFIED BARLEY said...

I Saw A Post Online Talking About A Guy Who Helped A Lady Got Proofs From Her Cheating Partners Phone,Without Any Physical Touch Which Means It Was Done Remotely,I Then Tried It Out And To My Surprise He Blew Me Off With The Very Type Of Results I Needed I Was Able To See My Cheating Spouse Whatsapp Messages Snapchat Messages Facebooks Messages And See Her Call Logs And Also Listen To Her Incoming Calls As Well You Should Give Him A Try Also Contact Him On through email “Whitehatspytech@cyberservices.com” For Any Type Of Hack.

passportsservices said...


How do I get a COVID-19 vaccination card?
Buy Covid-19 vaccination card online
Passport services produce verified register CDC COVID-19 vaccination cards that can enable you travel or present at your job side on request. buy registered Covid-19 vaccine at affordable prices at affordable prices without you being vaccinated
We produce registered CDC vaccination card at affordable prices. You can present it at the airport whenever you want to travel or at your job site on request
Our aim is to help those who are not able to obtain the CDC vaccine to obtain the card so as to show proof of being vaccinated.
Fake vaccination cards are on the rise in the U. S. and getting one is easier than you think.