Friday, December 08, 2017

The Sex Pistols and tax "reform"

A reporter with whom I was chatting earlier this week about the problems with the pass-through rules asked me: Yes, but there must be reasons for having the rules, aren't there?

I replied: "To quote the Sex Pistols, 'there is no reason why.'"

I evidently assumed he meant reasons other than funneling giant tax savings to donors.

The Sex Pistols quote comes from their great anthem EMI, an exhilarating explosion in which they almost seem to accept leadership of a movement, despite all the positivity that would imply.

The reporter was surprised (although perhaps he shouldn't have been) to hear a law professor quoting the Sex Pistols. He said he might try to use it, but apparently it didn't fit in. So I trust I'm not scooping him here.

And so it goes, and so it goes, and so it goes, and so it goes. But where it's going, no one knows.

No comments: